The Historical Legacy of Art in Tubac
Dale Nichols, former student of the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts, came to Tubac in 1948 in the hopes of starting an art school. The Dale Nichols School of Art was established in the historic Pennington House.
In 1955, Ross Stefan, a friend of Nichols, set up a studio in Tubac. Hugh Cabot established his gallery in the Pennington House in 1978 until his death.
Will Rogers Jr. settled in Tubac in 1955, and land developer Bill Morrow came to Tubac in 1957 to reshape Tubac into an artists colony.
Hal Empie, the youngest licensed pharmacist in Arizona, was also an Illustrator and painter. He established his residency and studio in 1986 until his death.
Many of the old storefronts were designed as a live/work space, where artists had their studio/gallery in the front and their living quarters in the rear.